PIPES Act 2020 Section 114 - Updating Pipeline Operator Inspection and Maintenance Plans
The informational presentation, which took place on February 17, 2022, reviews the requirements of Section 114 of the PIPES Act of 2020 and plans for PHMSA and state inspection of the requirements. The guidance document covers the following topics:
- Key elements of Section 114;
- Significant sources of natural gas (primarily methane) emissions from pipelines;
- Discussion of which types of pipeline facilities must comply with each portion of Section 114;
- PHMSA and state inspections, including reviews of a pipeline operator's programs and procedures to reduce methane emissions;
- Inspection topics related to methane reduction and leak-prone pipes;
- General review of how operators' programs and procedures will be inspected; and
- The timelines for actions required by Section 114.
The docket number for the meeting is PHMSA-2021-0123.